Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Harvest Soup

I found this delicious recipe and had to try it. It's a cream based vegetable soup with a cheese base. Pair it with a loaf of homemade bread and you have perfection for a bitter cold day! I made it yesterday and it was incredible! I changed the recipe some, added some additional ingredients, and that's the version you'll see here. I also quadrupled the amounts because when I make soup for my family, it's for a couple of days.

• 1 large onion, chopped

• several tablespoons veggie or olive oil

• 10+ cups chicken stock

• 5–6 medium potatoes

• 3 small yellow squash

• head of broccoli

• 5 large carrots

• 3 large stalks celery

• package of mushrooms

• 1/2 cup of butter

• 3/4 cup of flour

• 3 cups milk

• 8 ounces cream cheese

• 4 cups cheddar cheese

• 2 Tbsp Thyme

• 2 Tbsp Oregano

• 4 cloves fresh garlic

• Salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large stock pot, pour a couple of tablespoons of veggie oil and saute the onion until translucent. While onion is cooking cut up the veggies.

Pour in the chicken stock, potatoes, veggies, herbs & garlic. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 18 minutes (do not overcook)

*If using frozen veggies, add them at the end of the 18 minutes.

In a measuring cup add very cold milk and the flour and mix until no lumps remain, then pour into soup.

Add the shredded cheddar & cut up the cream cheese and add to pot. Stir until smooth and the cheeses are melted. Cook on low about 5-10 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread or a loaf of homemade bread.

2 comments:

Countryheart in the suburbs said...

This sounds delicious! Will try this next week!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Linda

cmccaffery said...

your welcome, it's SO good! Perfect for a rainy day. A wonderful comfort food.