Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Monday, January 14, 2013

Cheese Wax

I watch Doomsday Preppers. I wish I had the money to buy all of the supplies I'd like to have, but I don't, so I'm slowly doing things, one at a time. One of the great ideas I saw on a show was waxing cheese.

During a storm when you lose the lights for an extended amount of time, you lose your food. That's bad. What to do? Well I went & bought a couple of blocks of cheese wax and some blocks of cheddar cheese. When you wax the cheese you preserve it. No need to refrigerate, and it can last 25 years!

So I did a couple of blocks of cheese, with plans on buying more hard cheeses to add to my pantry. I do not believe waxing works on soft cheeses. If you like cheddar cheese, buy the mild one because as the waxed cheese sits in storage it ages. Mild cheddar will become sharp over time. It's easy to do. Just slowly melt the wax in a double boiler, and dip the cheese until coated.

Amazon Associates Link:

Here's my cheese:

No comments: