Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Monday, October 8, 2012

Suet

I made Suet for the birdies!

It's real easy. It smells SO good you may want to eat it, but don't!

Here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Suet Recipe

1 cup crunchy peanut butter

1 cup lard or tallow

2 cups oatmeal

1 cup mixed wild bird seed

1 cup cornmeal

1/2 cup whole wheat or white flour

Other things you could add:

1 part cracked corn

1 cup chopped cranberries or 1 cup raisins

Melt the lard and peanut butter, and mix in the dry ingredients and bird seed.

1. Pour into loaf pan or any pan you’d like & put in fridge to cool.

Note: if you placed your suet in fridge or freezer to cool, let it sit at room temp for a while before cutting to avoid cracking it.

2. Cut into 4”x4”x2” blocks

3. Place in suet feeder

4. Store extra suet cakes in freezer or cool place.

No comments: