Split Pea and Ham Soup
• 1 medium chopped onion
• 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound dried split peas
• 2 pound ham bone
• 3 cloves garlic chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 medium potatoes, diced
• 3 carrots, diced
• sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot, saute onions in oil.
2. Add the split peas, bay leaf, garlic, ham bone, and enough water to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover, and cook a couple of hours on low, until there are no peas left, just a green liquid. While it is cooking, check to see if water has evaporated. You may need to add more water as the soup continues to cook.
4. After about 2 hours remove the ham bone and set aside to cool. Add the carrots & potatoes and continuing cooking for about 25 minutes more.
5. If needed: Add ½ cup of cornstarch to ¾ cup of milk- mix well and add to pot to thicken soup.
6. Once the soup is a green liquid remove from heat, and let stand so it will thicken.
7. Cut up whatever ham is left from bone and leftovers, and add to pot.
8. Make Biscuits