Well it poured here all morning. I put up a pot of Split Pea Soup late in the morning, and let it simmer for awhile. Of course I had to make my biscuits too...I'm a sucker for any bread that's fresh from the oven and slathered with butter.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 1/3 cup shortening
• 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Add flour as needed until dough is soft as a ‘baby’s bottom’.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet about 1/2" apart.
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.
5. Serve hot with butter...YUM!
It's a home cooked meal meant to warm you on a chilly day.
Tip: line cookie sheet with parchment paper or bake biscuits on a pizza stone for a crispier bottom.