Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Food Pantry

There's been a lot of talk lately about stocking up your food pantry...just in case. Personally I think it's a great idea. I've started to plan my menu's better, have bought certain staples in bulk, and some of those food items are being stored for long term, and some of it into the pantry in larger tupperware containers for daily use.

I get at least 2 days out of every meal I make. I sometimes use leftover ingredients to create another meal. I try not to waste, though sometimes it can't be helped. Last Fall we lost power for 4 days due to Hurricane Irene. We made do, but I don't want to be one of those people rushing to the store for the essentials at the last minute. It's not my scene.

I bought some bulk food from Honeyville Grains. The quality is incredible and the prices reasonable. I will be ordering from them again.
Honeyville Food Products


This year I'm going to continue building up my reserve pantry. I'll be adding honey, more herbs and more staples. I also grab canned tomatoes when on sale. This year I will try canning for the first time. I also want to make jam for the first time. Hopefully it will come out good. I ordered another 25 strawberry plants as well. It's very exciting!

I want to eat healthier, shop wiser, and be prepared.

No comments: