Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Monday, January 23, 2012

Catching up

It's been so long since I've written, I've been so busy. I started a new temp job at a hospital, and it's good money. My business has been very slow to my dismay. I know the economy is struggling.

I'm glad the winter has been mild because I hate cold weather and snow especially. It's the fastest winter has ever seemed to go- usually winter seems to take forever. Spring is 2 mos away, and in a matter of weeks, I'll be starting my tomato seed indoors. I'm also selling herbs this year, another little thing I'm starting on the side, because horticulture is my first love. It takes a while to get a crop ready for sale. I'm hoping for the best.

My husband and I ordered a fireplace insert...to heat the house more efficiently. Of course I understand his reasons, but I hate the idea because I LOVE cooking in the fireplace and most importantly, sitting in front of it, napping. BUT, my DH did buy me a wonderful outdoor camping cookset. As soon as this snow melts, it's going up.

My hubby also ordered me a new recliner chair. I just made a pretty organizer for it yesterday. Maybe the chair will come this week.. it's blue, my favorite color.

I made a wonderful barter with a fellow farmgirl- I received a great book of western stories, and i gave her a candle and soap in return.

I'm also working on stocking up my pantry with the essentials. We ordered a new freezer which is great. Now we can stock up on things on sale. I also have 5 gallon buckets for food storage. Now if we get a storm we dont have to run out to the store like crazy people. I ordered a dehydrator last week, and am excited to use it! Of course my hubby wants to make beef jerky- i'm sure the doggies will appreciate that as well. I want to dry fruits for snacks, and herbs from my garden.

All we need now is a generator. What a sin it would be to lose all the food in a power outage. With the hurricane last year we didnt have power for 4 days.

Just finished my 2nd cup of coffee. Almost time to get ready for work.

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Nice to hear from you! Sounds like you have been busy, busy! I will also be starting my tomato, eggplant and pepper seeds here shortly. Your herb plant business sounds like a good idea! :)