Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trying something new

October 3, 2010 - As I get older I find myself yearning for a quieter, more self sufficient lifestyle. I love gardening, but often find it hard to find the time or energy to get out of it what I'd like. I am going to try something new this Fall. I will try and grow winter greens and carrots for the winter. I am SO inspired by Barbara Damrosch and Eliot Coleman. I have several of their books, and Eliot grows food throughout the winters in Maine. Then again, he has the land and the room to build a better system than I currently can. Not sure how it will turn out- but I am devoted on giving it a try. I am also going to try storing potatoes in our garage or basement this year. I will make a potato bin out of a plastic garbage can...but something that will also keep the mice away.



The arugula and some of the lettuce seed has already germinated. I should of really planted that a couple of weeks ago- but I didnt have the beds ready. So we'll see how it grows. Hoping to have most of the lettuce growth complete before frost comes. Lettuce like cool weather- it's about 60 degrees under the hoop this morning.



I planted garlic about a week or so ago, and that is already sprouting. We've had a lot of rain so it's no wonder. The spinach seed is coming along slow. I wanted to take more butterfly bush and carpet rose cuttings, but it is suppose to rain for the next several days- i must get out to do that asap.
























1 comment:

Tuatha of the Isles said...

Interesting post - think we might try that sometime