Welcome to my World

This blog is filled with the things I love. Family, Nature, gardening, my pets, cooking in the fireplace, all things vintage, and the simple pleasures in life. Being a farmgirl at heart, I consider myself a 'Modern Day Laura'

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fireplace Cooking


I am cooking a pot roast in my brand new, and most beautiful 8qt cast iron dutch oven IN the fireplace! This thing is heavy! I don't know if I will be able to even lift it after it's done cooking, lol . It smells SO good! I'm even watching Little House on the Prairie right now too! Loving it all. I even added fresh herbs from the garden too. Near the end of cooking, I added some fresh string beans and mushrooms, which are not in the picture. Yummy!

I am very excited though. I always liked the idea of doing things the old fashioned way, can't help it. The other thing prompting me to cook in the fireplace is that everything in this house is electric. I would hate to run the stove for 3 or 4 hours. Bad enough I did it yesterday when I made corned beef and cabbage. The dutch oven didn't get delivered until yesterday afternoon, too late to use it yesterday.

I hope I inspire you to get back to basics with some good old fashioned cooking.

Check out this link for Fireplace Cooking.

....should I make a bonnet? (get that house 'Little house on the prairie' experience) LOL

Be well,
Connie

2 comments:

Beemoosie said...

What a neat idea! How did it turn out?

Welcome! said...

Wow, we just finished our fireplace meal, and it came out perfect! I made homemade biscuits too. We are all stuffed. Now I am going to relax be the fire.